Wednesday 10 March 2010
Starting on 28 March 2010, Air France and KLM will be extending their hold baggage transport rules that already apply for passengers travelling between Europe and the United States and Canada to the rest of the network. The policy is in line with industry standards.
Before, two different rules existed depending on the destination (piece concept or weight concept). From now on, only the piece concept will be used for all tickets issued as from 28 March 2010.
These new measures, more beneficial for customers than before, will enable Air France and KLM passengers to check in up to 3 bags free of charge weighing up to 23kg each depending on the cabin class.
Flying Blue members as from Silver status will be able to check in an additional bag of up to 23kg, whatever their travel class. Up to now, they benefited from an additional baggage allowance only on routes on which the weight concept applied (Silver 5kg, Gold 10kg and Platinum 20kg).
Air France and KLM are thus confirming their intent to maintain the essential free services and to simplify travel procedures with services which are easier to use and understand for everyone.
Weight of each bag maximum 23kg – size: 158 cm (sum of the three dimensions)
For each bag weighing more than 23 kg and less than 32 kg*, a set sum will be charged: €100 from Europe, 100 USD from elsewhere**, or the equivalent in local currency
- Voyageur (AF) and Economy (KL) cabins: 2nd bag for €55 from Europe and 55 USD elsewhere** - Additional bags: €200 or USD per bag
- In other cabins over the baggage allowance: €200 from Europe, 200 USD elsewhere** per bag, or the equivalent in local currency
Air France and KLM offers 20% discount excess baggage charges for customers who check in online (e.g.: €44 instead of €55 / €160 instead of €200)
* Over 32kg: cargo transport
** Special cases: from Canada 100 CAD – 55 CAD – 200 CAD
On more than 50 routes, customers travelling in the Voyageur or Economy cabins will be able to check in a second bag free of charge.
- Code-share flights: the baggage allowance indicated on the ticket or itinerary receipt applies
- Infants: infants under the age of 2 benefit from a 10 kg baggage allowance, free transport of a stroller and a cabin bag
- Reduced mobility passengers: free transport of their equipment and an additional bag
- Animals: only cats and dogs are accepted in the cabin or the hold. The transport of animals is not included in the baggage allowance and a set tax is applied.
- Golf equipment: one piece of equipment per person is carried free of charge in addition to the set allowance (maxi weight 23 kg) on flights operated by Air France and KLM only.
- Other equipment: (diving equipment, skis, etc.) is considered as normal baggage and is thus included in the set allowance (except for surfboards measuring more than 107 cm).